[QuadList] White Plasticizer Details

Walter Forsberg walterforsberg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 11:34:58 CDT 2010

Ted & Trevor-

I can upload some iPhone-rezz pics, tonight. I've never seen this stuff on
film, first-hand----only on 1" videotape (several different stocks, but
mainly (surprisingly, as I heard Fuji was among the better 1" stocks) on
Fuji H621). Good to know it's a filmic matter, too, Ted.

Again, I will upload a photo later, but it looks like a concentrated (ie.
does not blow off/around too easily) and hardened baking soda, formed in
singular pea-sized chunks. (And, no, I don't think Marion Barry has ever
been in the archive...)

One of my colleagues, formerly of a now-defunct NYC video transfer house,
said that I should not jump to the easy conclusion that it was mold, and
seemed rather convinced it was "plasticizer" from the tape binder. It's not
a loose-lying kind of thing, but rather seems anchored to the tape
(presumably from whence it emerged) like a scab.

The best way to figure out what it is would be to send it out for chemical
analysis, but I wanted to get a sense of the Group's possible testimonies
beforehand.

Thanks in advance,
Walter.