[QuadList] Fwd: Quad VTR Quadrature Compensator

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Tue Mar 30 22:16:59 CDT 2010

George

I never had the thrill of working with the early heads on a VR-1000
series.  How did you go about setting quadrature on these early  heads?

All the heads that I got in the 60's and later were so good that we never
had to do anything to them.  At that time the manufactures got the quality
to a point where this was not a problem.  Also the AMTEC and ATC took care
of any error.  The only time I would see it was when the AMTEC error  had a
step for one head only.

I think the most that I ever had to adjust on the TRT was only a few clicks
 from center on the delay lines.  I can only picture it in my mind and by
looking at a picture of the electronics in the instruction book, I only
think it  was a few clicks.  The book calls it out as .015 micro seconds per
click.  Interesting was the design.  the record amp had a 6922 with a  single
gain control then feed a set of 6922s for each channel.  They fed  the delay
lines.  Then a 6922 was the output driver for each channel.   The output of
this chassis fed the record driver chassis.

The playback amps were 6BQ7 tubes with individual gain controls that fed
the delay lines.  Again the same amount of delay per click.  Then  another
6BQ7 to fee the next chassis.  The playback delay was right after  the pre-amp
and before the equalizer.

Chris Hill
WA8IGN