[QuadList] Fwd: Quad VTR Quadrature Compensator

David C. Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Wed Mar 31 10:06:02 CDT 2010

George and Chris,

NBC had one guy in maintenance who basically did nothing but heads. He
knew it all. He had been there, done that. VR 1000's and TRT X
machines onward. I learned a lot from him before he passed away a few
years back. I recently talked with his widow about all the projects he
had been involved in over the years.

David

Quoting georgenann at aol.com:

> Hi Chris,
>
> All I remember is that it was just a case of reducing the errors.
> If you moved one head you have now screwed up the whole pattern.
> You had to then move all the other heads to compensate.  This meant
> starting, stopping the head, etc.  It could take all day.
> Fortunately there were two guys who did nothing but heads, a
> carryover from the old days. If I remember, you had to start with
> head #4 and work your way around.  I don't remember ever having just
>  one head out of quad and just moving it back into place.
>
> I agree most of the heads were done very well, I don't know how they
>  got them right so many times on so many heads, must have been some
> kind of laser alignment set up.  Did they have lasers back then??
>
> Don't even ask about setting up the jumpers on the proc board. Thank
>  God most of them were set up correctly before I went in to Tape
> Maint.
>
> Hope this helped.
>
> 73,
>
> George Keller

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Archived Media Transfer and Re-mastering Services
177 West Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA. 91502
818-563-1073
818-563-1177 (fax)