[QuadList] Ampex AST heads and CMC DPT heads--what's different?

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Sat May 8 14:54:00 CDT 2010

		On May 8, 2010, at 11:14 AM, C. Park Seward wrote:

 > I think the Ampex AST head performs the same way. I'll try to find
some docs.

		I offer:

	I somehow remember that the AST head was mounted on TWO strips of
bimorph material sandwiched together.  Flexing of the two would
maintain the head's face flat against the tape.
	A single strip would flex in an arc, which would cause the face of
the head to not be flat against the tape at extreme head position
swings.

	  				   NBC Today Show, New York