[QuadList] Ampex AST heads and CMC DPT heads--what's different?

Wayne Watson wayne.watson at sait.ca
Sat May 8 16:37:12 CDT 2010

Yes that is true and if it did not sit "flat" it was called a Zenith error. The AST head was actually split across and lengthwise. Across, and then wired polarity opposite, to correct for the Zenith problem. Lengthwise (a more narrow strip) to provide feedback position; what direction and how much it was bent would give a voltage. With the short "format dropout" in Type C of ten lines there was not much time to get the head to the correct place when it hit the top edge of the tape for the next field and thus the need for feedback info. Ampex was awarded an Emmy for the AST head in 1977; one of two they received that year.

For information on the SAIT Broadcast Systems Technology Program, check out http://broadcast.sait.ca

Wayne Watson
Broadcast Systems Technology
wayne.watson at sait.ca