[QuadList] Ampex AST heads and CMC DPT heads--what's different?

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Sun May 9 13:20:25 CDT 2010

I think we should also recognize the engineers who made the AST work, Ray Ravizza, an electronic engineer who worked on the AVR-2, possibly the Audio, since he was one of the last on the project, and nobody wants to do audio.
He worked with Richard Hathaway, a mechanical engineer who had worked on helical scan with me back in Elk Grove in the middle 60's, came to California, cleaned up the mechanics of the Cartrivision machine while a couple of other ex-Ampex guys made color work on this machine.
Then he came back to Ampex and he did the mechanics of the AST, but Ray made it work electronically and I believe has his name on the Patent.
Ray did the AST work on many machines, and after the VPR-3, he asked for a one man project so he could learn more about software.
We figured out that ABC, who we sold a 100 AVR-3's to wanted an interface that would allow the HS-100 controllers and cables to be used to run the VPR-3, so Ray built a great device, a base for an HS-100 controller, which would connect to the device and allow the device to be connect to the VPR-3 via a serial cable, or at the VPR-3 end where HS-100 cables were already installed. He did everything including most of the mechanical design. His next effort was the design of the robotics for the ACR-225, which is a very fast, precise, safe robot which moved at 100"/sec/2

OBTW, we are writing all this on the Quad site, and somebody should send some to the OLDVTR site, since they might be interested.

Bill Carpenter