[QuadList] Quad Videotape Group News and Pictures--Summer/Fall 2010 edition--Section 1

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Mon Nov 15 16:33:11 CST 2010

The Library of Congress features frequently in this multi-section
edition coming your way this evening.

Since the last week of July, I've had the pleasure of visiting the
Library of Congress's
National Audio Visual Conservation Center in Culpeper, VA on several
different occasions.

The first was to participate in the installation of the MWA Nova
flashstransfer Vario
  which the Library is using to transfer 16mm film to files.

QuadList Member and long-time telecine and Quad engineer Mike Bitetti
from Savannah, GA came up to help with the Vario install

And we were treated to a tour of the LoC's video transfer facilities
that are being developed to handle massive numbers of reels and
cassettes.

The initial focus for Quad is on these AVR-2's that QuadList member
and LoC Senior Systems Asministrator James Snyder is between. He's
outlining what the Library is doing to MWA Nova Software Engineer
Andreas Rettig, QuadList Member and long-time telecine, Bitetti and
MWA Nova Engineer Neils Petzold.

These AVR-2's are being brought back to life by James O'Neal, whose
name you might recognize from bylines as Technology Editor for TV
Technology magazine and website.

James is on the right in this picture just before our Quad Videotape
Group Brunch in Fredericksburg, VA, Saturday, 10-9-10.

Left of James is QuadList member and VTR/ATR collector-restorer John
Fletcher from Harper's Ferry, WV, who drove two hours to attend the
brunch, and brought a manual for the Ampex VR-1000 to share.

There's that salesman pitching VR-2000's again.  The seemingly ever-
present Gary Adams is behind the camera for this photo.

John drove over with a Chevy Blazer full of 1" IVC format videotapes,
which he obtained along with these IVC machines several weeks prior to
our Brunch.

We're not done with the Library, yet... nor Quads... so look for
Section 2