[QuadList] I am VERY interested in getting involved with what you do.

Michael Barnhart michael.barnhart74 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 28 13:08:54 CST 2010

       Hi, fellow Quad engineers!!

 My name is Mike Barnhart, I'm 30 years old and am VERY interested in keeping
the spirit and tradition of 2" quad videotape alive and well. Ever since I was
born, my father worked with Ampex machines, (VR-2000B's, 1200B's, AVR-1's,
VPR-6's, VPR-80's, VPR-2B's, AVR-2's, etc) and many more, (1" type C) for many,
many years. I still have the original photos of the facility taken in 1980 with
all of the machines there. He retired in 2001 from Eyemark Video Services
located in Pittsburgh, PA. Back in the day, the place was Westinghouse
Broadcasting or Group W.  Productions for short. I will always miss that place.
I was pretty much born into Television Broadcasting, forever. He originally
started in TV in 1969 I believe working at WIIC-TV, (now called WPXI-TV,
Pittsburgh). I really would love to know what I can do to help you guys out. I
want to study electronics at Cleveland Institute of Electronics next year, which
is a home study program. Nothing brings back better memories in my life than
running one of those machines. I can operate an Ampex AVR-2  2" quad machine
with my eyes closed. Seriously. I will always love and respect Ampex Corp, the
company that built the VERY first 2" machine in 1956 the VR-1000. How many 30
y/o people walking the planet knows about Ampex, the machines, the people that
built them,
and the knowledge needed to operate and maintain one of those machines??? NONE.
The men that built the first 2" machine the VR-1000 cemented the legend of Ampex
in more ways than one. I know I will not make a "career" doing what you guys do,
it's just something that I have ALWAYS enjoyed- something that cannot be bought
with a paycheck, true happiness.  How can I get really involved with what you
guys do? I also am interested in operating and maintaining a Bosch FDL-60C
telecine and would love to know how I get involved with telecine work and
anything else related. Like I said, how many 30 y/o people have this kind of
knowledge??? Once they replaced the quads, TV became too damn easy. Please
e-mail me asap. I would love to hear from all of you.

 Thank You. "Keep them rolling"  -Mike B.