[QuadList] Quad Videotape Group News and Pictures--Summer/Fall 2010 edition--Section 4-Dinner in Philly

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Tue Nov 16 10:30:22 CST 2010

Sections 2 & 3 about the Library of Congress' Culpeper facility are
being reviewed for accuracy... so we move on to Section 4.

Our Third Annual Quad Videotape Group Dinner at AMIA was set for
Tuesday night during the Association of Moving Image Archivists
Conference in Philadelphia, Nov. 2-7.

We have pictures... but we'll start with one from before I got to
Philadelphia.

Driving north from Cincinnati toward Columbus, OH, any broadcaster
should stop and check out this broadcasting landmark: The site of the
only 500,000 watt US licensed AM broadcast station.

And when stopping at (now only) 50KW ND WLW (AM) 710, Cincinnati's
Blaw-Knox Tower in Mason, OH we discover it's getting new guy wires.
Look to the left of the tower's lower section and you'll see the first
replacement being hoisted.

On Tuesday, Nov. 1, QuadList members gathered at the Loew's
Philadelphia Hotel Sole Food Restaurant before heading to Dinner.

Quad was a table topic, and there was this late-to-the-party salesman
trying to peddle VR-2000's with a 1964 flip book, just to the left of
the QuadReel.  Several RCA Broadcast News editions were also being
passed around. One was the 1959 introduction of RCA Television Tape,
and the others had items about TCR-100 cart machines.

L-Right:  Gary Adams, DaVinci Systems, Rob Mobley, Mobley Post near
Orlando, Florida, James Snyder, Library of Congress NAVCC, Steve
Greene, National Archives and Records Admin., and the always in motion
David Crosthwait, DC Video, Burbank.

Tuesday's Dinner at the White Dog Cafe in Philadelphia was something
to definitely go back for.  Melt in your mouth meats, among other
things that elicit lengthy discourse and fond memories. And large
credit card charges :()

I had the Heirloom Apple Walnut Salad, Green Meadow Farm Filet and
Sweet Potato Puree as both a side and dessert!  Would like to repeat
that soon! Or try something else!

L to R: Jim McGuian, Video Sys. Engineer, George Blood Audio,
Philadelphia. He's supervising the restoration of a number of AVR
series machines, including 1's, 2's and 3's late of QuadOne in Burbank.

Rounding out the table, Rob Mobley, George Blood, David Crosthwait
(end of table).  George Greene is to the left of David, hidden by
James Snyder. Then there's me and Gary Adams.  We appear to be eating
the same food.

Alberta Archives' Tom Bernier snapped this from his end of the table
with my Nikon D40x.

And David Crosthwait shot this angle with his iPhone:
Clockwise L-R: Steve Greene, James Snyder, Ted Langdell trying to get
the label up on the QuadReel, Gary Adams, Tom Brunier, George Blood
Audio/Video Engineer "Tad" Tadashi Matsuura, Jim McGuian, Rob Mobley
and George Blood.

A good bit of the conversation related to the underlying thread of the
Conference... digitization, codecs, where and how to store those bits.

James Snyder was looking ahead to NAB... as captured in an iPhone
video by David Crosthwait.

That and more from Philadelphia in Section 5!\