[QuadList] teleprompter stills neeeded stuff--Cart machine Identified, cart history links

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sun Apr 17 13:31:21 CDT 2011

Hi, Ed and all...

On Apr 17, 2011, at 9:58 AM, Don Norwood wrote:

> Ed:
>
> All pretty easily identifiable stuff except for the cart machine.  I
> don't remember one that looks like what's in your picture.

Looks to me like a Broadcast Electronics machine, and a little
Googling seems to confirm that:

Barry Mishkind's website: http://www.oldradio.com/archives/hardware/carts.htm

Has this listed as a BE Spotmaster 10-70.

http://www.oldradio.com/archives/hardware/Carts/BE-10-70.jpg

BE is still in business, celebrating 50 years in 2009, located in
Quincy, IL... a hotbed for cart machines and other radio innovations.
http://www.bdcast.com/about-us/

They may have manuals for this machine, although not on-line.

Gates was in Quincy and introduced several spot players.  ITC
(International Tapetronics) as well. Highly regarded, especially its
Delta line that capped the Cart era.

In the waning days of carts—early to mid 90's—I was teaching a ROP
Radio-TV class and was busy acquiring equipment from various sources
in the Sacramento area.

The Sacramento Army Depot was home to Army, US Navy and IIRC, Coast
Guard media facilities.  I picked up a pair of lightly used (if used
at all) Delta cart machines for $25 each when the Depot was closed
during a round of Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) proceedings.
They had all kinds of stuff. Some in pretty good shape.

Here's a history of some brands of Cart Machines:
http://www.jimprice.com/prosound/carts.htm

Notably DOESN'T mention Sparta Electronics... which also made
consoles, transmitters under the Sparta and also Bauer and for a time
owned Jampro antennas.

Harold Hallikainen has more here (and does mention Sparta)

http://louise.hallikainen.org/BroadcastHistory/index.php/Tape%20Cartridge%20History

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com