[QuadList] Old Sony 1"

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Mon Apr 18 15:38:53 CDT 2011

Could be for a Sony EV-200, 210 310, 320 or UV-340 machines circa
1966-70.

See pictures and click on pictures for details at our friend Richard
Diehl's
http://www.labguysworld.com/VTR-Museum_001.htm

Here's a picture from the 320F showing the reels, holes and screw
patterns. Note the Ampex 190 reel of tape on the machine

http://www.labguysworld.com/EV-320F_111.jpg

To answer your questions:

1: No

2: Yes, a decade (or is that DECKade) before Sony introduced the
BVH-1000 which led to the development of SMPTE Type C.

That was the drive to make one format this new Sony development and
Ampex's Type A format just after the Ampex VPR-1 was introduced with
AST.

3:  The BVH-1000 and Type C are Omega (almost full) wrap, while the EV
and UV series were half-wrap machines.

Richard's website reports that the earlier machines used a different
color recording system than the last-in-line UV-320, which used a
color under scheme with a 688KHz subcarrier. (Where have we seen 688
before... :)

The EV and UV color systems were not compatible, and with the
differences in wraps, neither would be playable on the BVH machines.

Ted

On Apr 18, 2011, at 1:05 PM, lee williams wrote:

> Question about old 1" Sony.
>
> Was cleaning out a old storage unit and found 20  Sony 1" tapes that
> have the old style 3 - 1/4" holes in the center for the reel.
>
> Can this tape be spooled to a newer reel and played on a BVH3000?
>
> I figure that this was probably before the C format.
>
> Just how different were the native Sony formats from what became C?
>
> Thanks.

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com