[QuadList] Sony Flexicart system questions

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Wed Aug 3 08:23:07 CDT 2011

Hi, Shai,

On Aug 2, 2011, at 11:21 PM, Shai Drori wrote:

> Please forgive the cross posting. Does anyone know the answers to
> the following questions about the flexicart system:

I've answered your specific questions below.

FYI: Flexicart brochure here:
http://www.broadcaststore.com/pdf/model/13245/sony_flexicart_.pdf

> I think of using this for an ingest computer,

It's not an ingest computer that digitizes signals from tape.  The
Flexicart is a robotic cassette tape handling and playback system that
can be equipped with several types of VTRs.

It has some computer control internally, but needs an external
controller to tell it what cassette needs to be found and played,
along with other info.

The Flexicart takes D-2, various Betacam family Analog and Digital
decks, and Sony VXST series VHS decks.

Unfortunately, it won't handle 3/4," which the SAMMA Robot can be
configured to do.

> The Samma is just too expensive.

Do you mean the SAMMA Robot configured as you'd need it is not working
with your project's business plan?

Flexicart as an option:
If you don't need robotic control over 3/4":

The Flexicart can be used with the SAMMA system,  and there are a
number of examples in the field, including the European Parliament.

Alteran Technologies/The Broadcast Store is using Flexicarts as part
of its ViTaDi automated migration system.

There are significant differences between the approaches used to
digitize the signal and the hardware used to do so.

The SAMMA Solo and Robot are Windows based, using Front Porch's SAMMA
software and hardware to turn analog or SDI signals into simultaneous
files of different wrappers and codec in one pass.

The SAMMA is able to do MXF wrapped JPEG 2000 files, which the Alteran
system cannot.

The Alteran system is Mac based and uses Telestream's Pipeline and
Episode products to produce Uncompressed 8-bit SD Quicktime files and
several other HD or SD compressed codecs including ProRes 422. Alteran
software controls the system.

My understanding—subject to correction—is that the Alteran package
does one file per pass.  Further post-capture processing of the
captured file can render the different files desired.

It's a different system than the SAMMA with a different price-point
and different output.

As I think I've said before, price generally reflects the thinking,
R&D, software and hardware development and manufacture costs (and
software DOES have a cost even if it comes on a 50-cent disc.)

Disclosure:  I am a SAMMA dealer, and the MWA Nova film transfer
systems my company distributes in the US and Canada are able to be
used by both SAMMA and Alteran systems for film-to-file migration.

> 1. Can the system be controlled by rs422 or rs232?

Yes. See brochure.

> 2. If so, can it also be controlled to eject a cassette and load the
> next?

Yes, depending on hardware and software used for external control.

> 3. How many cassettes fit into the system?

Depends on VTR's and tape sizes used. See chart on brochure page 3.

> 4. Can they be mixed sizes?

Within the same tape format: IE:  BetacamSP. See brochure page 3 for
text and photo.

> 5. What is a fair priced for unit without VTRs included? Used
> obviously

> Cheers
> Shai Drori
> Freelance

Difficult to say.  Some variables come into play:

In what condition?

With what cassette bins?
Those are VTR-specific, so you need to ensure you don't get ones for a
UVW BetacamSP player if you have BVW series machines you plan to use.
There are also different amounts of bins per rail depending on how
many VTRs are installed in the Flexicart.

With what Accessories or other add-ons that are needed to enable you
to do what you want to do?

Getting a copy of the latest manual—including configuration and
installation instructions—would be a big help in identifying what
components are needed to achieve what you intend.

A lot of us like to DIY to save money... but involving an engineer or
system integrator with Flexicart experience would be another big
help.  When things get complex or are outside one's experience, it's
easy to overlook some key element that they might catch.

They can also keep you from obtaining un-necessary components on your
own that compromise your budget later.

That's the long way of saying "Measure twice. Cut once."

Sony offers a Flexicart maintenance course:
http://www.pro.sony.eu/biz/lang/en/il/content/id/1237477369651?articlesection=2

Hope this is helpful.

Ted Langdell
Secretary, Quad Videotape Group

CEO
flashscan8.us
iPhone:  (530) 301-2931
Office:    (530) 741-1212
ted at flashscan8.us
Skype:   TedLangdell

Celebrating the First Anniversary of the 16/35HD Vario, installed at
the Library of Congress July 29, 2010
• Hollywood, The ReelThing XXVII, August 19-20
• Los Angeles—Demo Week, August 22-26—Click to Book a demo
• AMIA in Austin, TX, November 15-19, 2011—Click to Book a demo
and other technical conferences in 2011.