[QuadList] Quad Quiz of the Week

rabruner at aol.com rabruner at aol.com
Sun Dec 18 09:14:13 CST 2011

The complete camera head on a TK-41 weighs about 450 pounds.  Removing the VF reduces that weight by about 150#.  Many years ago, when I worked at WGN I was one of several engineers tasked with getting the last remaining TK-41 into a truck to be delivered to the museum of broadcasting in Chicago.  It was a similar problem.  We stood around looking at the challenge until the stage hands noticed and got interested and got the camera onto the truck and off at the other end.  Find a stage hand, they do that kind of thing for a living. :-).

In ordinary operations, WGN had a chain hoist in the back area of the station for lifting the cameras onto pedestals, etc. For remotes (They had a TK-41 equipped remote truck at one time) they had a hoist on the truck and custom made wheeled carts for moving the cameras around.  It was serious challenge from the physical stand point to work with those cameras.  They had hoists at Chicago Stadium and other locations. They had designed and built a number of tools, lifts, and so forth to deal with the weight.  Just handling the cable for these cameras was a massive task; when I left there were still several hundred feet of it coiled up on top of various places at Wrigley Field, left there by WGN and NBC, because no one wanted to deal with schlepping it out f there.  WGN never had TK-42/3s.  By the time the TK-44s came along, they seemed almost portable!
Bob Bruner
W9TAJ