[QuadList] Sugestions on how to clean sappers--3M had a cleaning process--Vidipax accquired it

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Mon Dec 19 19:19:05 CST 2011

Hi, Lee,

Sounds like you've taken the top (front) flange off of some to inspect.

Can you shoot/post some pictures to better illustrate what you're running into?

If you unwind some of the tape carefully, are you seeing any penetration of glue into the tape pack?

Or had it just dripped down the outside wrap?

If its just on the outside, you have a relatively easy fix for the tape... and some unscrewing and cleaning to do on flanges.

There is a 3M developed cleanup process--Vidipax acquired it:
In doing some Googling about the topic, I ran across this notation that originally came from the vidipax.com website, but is now on http://online-storage.com/services/video-tape/

VidiPax™ has acquired from 3M™ the copyright to the process used to eliminate glue seepage caused by the foam padding used on the flange of some 2-Quad reels.

Since the Vidipax that got that process doesn't exactly exist anymore, I wonder whether that process info died with it... or whether 3M would share the info.

 (I'll ask.  Don't hold your breath in the meantime, since it may take some time to find out whom to talk to.)

See separate posting about Vidipax.com website

Ted