[QuadList] VT Hell on Christmas Eve

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sat Dec 24 22:53:45 CST 2011

On Dec 24, 2011, at 7:11 PM, Pat McGowan wrote:

> Today's IT kids will not understand a word of this, but we lived it.
> Kudos to Ted! I loved it.

Hey Pat,

Glad you enjoyed it. I had fun writing and performing it.

I ran it by Tim Stoffel earlier today and he replied "ROFTL!!," which I think is Rolling On Floor (Totally?) Laughing.  (I'm more familiar with ROFLMAO

More than one person is likely wondering "Why the heck was a local station recording an important network show on a tape with a splice in it?"

Perhaps folks would like to speculate?

As for today's IT folks... Young ones may not get the references, but some may be living it twice!

Current broadcast and post engineers in the 50-65 or older vintage... are or could be very young first generation or middle of the second generation of Quad Engineers and tape ops.

So they've lived it first with reels of tape, then with library machines tied to computers, and now with file servers that can also go down at the least opportune time.  And take out more than one show when they do.

I've heard about more than one mad scramble to grab "evergreen" tapes and interstitial reels when servers have gone down at one of our members' work site.

So for all of you who are at home this weekend, Merry Christmas!  Enjoy the time.

And for those of you pulling Holiday duty... watch out for the punch in the break room.  Someone may have tried to liven things up around there!

May your programs be Merry and Bright... and the A/V and traffic files work right!