[QuadList] Super Bowl I Videotape-Could an Armed Forces Network bicycle tape be in some dark warehouse?

C. Park Seward park at videopark.com
Sun Feb 6 09:54:18 CST 2011

Ted,

I didn't get to AFN in Frankfurt until 1973. By then, they would hire the Deutsche Bundespost to downlink the Super Bowl and show it live on AFN. The entertainment programs were bicycled kines with some IVC 1"  and Quad. They had an AVR-1. Monochrome until the early 80s.

Sat time was so expensive that they didn't have their own downlink until years later. AFN radio did have sat, land line and short wave, but they all sounded horrible due to massive  bandwidth limiting.

Due to the generously of the program producers, unions and networks, AFRTS could get just about any program or song. One show not shown until later was Star Trek. It was running on German TV and they didn't want the competition from the english version.

The AFN transmitter in Frankfurt was a converted Nazi short wave unit that they pumped up to 150,000 watts AM. As you know, the strongest station in the states can only go to 50,000 watts. Their standby generator was a U-Boat engine. The first studios were in a castle.

Best,
Park

C. Park Seward
Cell: 818-535-2747
Home: 541-476-6657
Immaculate  2" Quad and 1" "C" transfers
Visit us: http://www.videopark.com