[QuadList] VTR introduction anniversaries: 1965

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Wed Feb 9 20:20:46 CST 2011

Bill and the group,

In Burbank, NBC acquired six VR 2000's "because Hollywood production demanded it". In other words, NBC was competing from a production facility standpoint with CBS TV City (with new color cameras and VR 2000s) and other places. I was told by a former editor that NBC Burbank "had" to get those machines to be competitive. From the VR-2000 notes I received during the purging of 2" machines there a while back, the indication is that it was 1965 when they received their initial VR 2000's. Some had EECO edit controllers and four could be controlled via a CMX 300.

In Burbank, VTR 14 and 16 (VR 2000's)  were assigned for "The Tonight Show" when the show originated from Burbank. Those machines didn't do much else the entire day especially from about 12:00 noon till at least 1:00 A.M. They each had an editec and a splicer near by. Four VTRs rolled at 5:30 for the taping, but 14 & 16 were the master machines. When the show ended at 7:00 P.M. (ninety minute days) they did whatever fixes that were needed (usually none) and the show was ready to feed east at 8:30 and west at 11:30. They looked perfect on the air. Bill's LA contract mention I believe is 100% correct.

Since at one time 17% percent of the network pre-tax revenue came from commercial spots in "The Tonight Show", they had dedicated machines for  commercial integration. A TR 70B fed a TCR 100. Then at show taping, two TCR 100's (VT 6 & 8) were rolled from studio A for commercial integration. The show went to tape as if it was "live". I don't ever recall any commercial outage during production.

In 1979, NBC Burbank had the six VR-2000's. The rest were TR 70 A, B, and a couple of C's, TR 600 and 600A's. In 1982, there were six TCR 100's. But the Ampex 2" machines probably were at their peak by numbers in the VR 1000 days.

David Crosthwait
DC Video