[QuadList] QuadList Picture of the Day for Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2011

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Tue Feb 15 21:18:57 CST 2011

Hi Chris:

It engages a "brake" to keep the reels from turning when the unit is powered off and transported.  When the machine is in operation, braking is dynamic, so there are no mechanical brakes to hold the reels when power is off.  Thus the manually engaged brake.

Ampex cleverly used some existing parts for this design.  The roller that presses against the reel flange edges to provide the brake function is the same part that's used as a pinch roller in the 600 series audio decks.  Likewise, the control knob is the same as found on an AG-600.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com