[QuadList] Weekend Puzzle Picture

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Sun Feb 20 18:01:31 CST 2011

Ok, time to reveal what this is for everybody.  As expected, Ken Zin correctly identified this in an off-list email as a Merlin ME-188 DOC.  You can find the product literature for it on my website http://www.digitrakcom.com/MERLINlit.html

Several of you had most of the pieces of the puzzle, but nobody put all of them together correctly.  The ME-188 was available for both Ampex and RCA machines.  Although the form factor of the card is the same as used by Ampex, it doesn't plug into the Ampex frame.  Instead, it has it's own chassis, a one rack unit high package with the card installed horizontally.  What made me think of this card, was the picture that Ted posted of of the Merlinized VR-1100 at the LOC.  If you go back and look at that pic, the ME-188 is installed on the right side of the machine just under the audio chassis.  The picture I posted was from a unit I have installed in a VR-1200.  You can see it here on the left side of the machine just above the signal system http://www.digitrakcom.com/Pics/VR1200ABC.jpg

Several of you have responded off-list that you have enjoyed the pictures, so I've come up with a few more that should be interesting.  I'll try another one next week.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com