[QuadList] Jeporady Question of the Day--RCA TH's and TR's

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Wed Feb 23 19:15:33 CST 2011

Ted wrote:

> Does anyone have stats on machines sold, where they went? Yes, one is sitting in the Apex junk yard, Sun Valley. I also saw three in an edit bay 15 years ago in Green Bay, turned off. Another guy out here had several in his garage, but he got divorced shortly thereafter and they all went away.

David C has told of experiences with TR-800's. Runaway machines with tape out of control.  And I seem to recall another story regarding one that rolled out the back of a remote truck???

Yes, I remember the TR 800 well. They were like nothing else at the time. No Sony copycats on that machine. It was all apparently built from the ground up, just too late and too problematic.  Microprocessor controlled and ran like a bat out of hell (even when they were not suppose to take off during sports slo-mo cue up). In the early 80's while working for NBC (owned at that time by RCA), we were hearing rumors that this machine had scanner bearing problems and was being held up till that was resolved. The first TR 800's I saw were in the QV remote truck. But the problems with reliability were so bad that RCA assigned an engineer during one remote in Vegas who did nothing but sit by the VTR door and waited for one of us to yell "help, we have a runaway!". The director and producers were not amused. Needless to say, the next time we used that truck, the TR 800's were gone and replaced by BVH 2000's.

Gary Adams: Do you recall who this was? I'd like to credit him. He was from RCA, the TR 800 engineer.

Below is the RCA equipped QV truck at Caesars. Combined NYC and Burbank crew on the go with an HL 79 and a BVH 500A.

David Crosthwait
DC Video

DAVID at DCVIDEO.COM
WWW.DCVIDEO.COM