[QuadList] From the TR 800 Crypt--Questions seeking answers

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Thu Feb 24 14:39:59 CST 2011

Hello Phillip,

Off hand, I cannot place what company that TBC manufacturer would have been in Florida. They may have been repackaging Japanese, British, or German product. Just a guess. Maybe John or Don would know from that era.

OK, the photo may have been Peter. I just don't recall his name, but I thought he was British. "Admin-Assist & Peter on his desk". Well now, some late night meetings going on. Never heard about that before in broadcasting (HA!).

"The RCA dynamic tracking head was made by Sony...We made one but it erased an Ampex Pal test tape provided by a visiting Australian Broadcast Group...Very Embarrassing". I can imagine.

Yes, the VITC and linear time code (in phase) have to match in pre-roll or it's abort city. Man, do I recall time code phase problems on some decks, usually not on the BVH 2000 (for another thread). CMX liked to see things right on pre-roll or it would abort (340 and 3400A/3600).

You at least seemed to have been one of those shining lights amidst all of the chaos with various product problems. And yes, I do recall hearing about the Sony scanner in later models, I believe.

David