[QuadList] AVR-4

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 19:05:14 CST 2011

Hi Folks,

I have no knowledge of any AVR-4 documentation at AMPEX.

The digital machine was not even a prototype, just the First Full Screen Digital
Video Recorder Demonstration in the World. ( note: a one head pass segment of a
"B" format machine, a few lines had been publicly played back to show concept in
Europe earlier, by John Baldwin) had been built on a AVR-3, since the latest TBC
cards were built for that machine.
A similar demo was made in Europe @ Montreau, using a AVR-2, and it was a 4FSC
machine with 1/2 the tape consummation.

We did not use "4" in any product name after a great regional manager, Pat
Burns, returned from working in Hong Kong, and explained that the number "four"
meant very bad luck or death in the major Asian languages.

Note: This caused the entire ESS-4 sales program, to be scrapped, and the
product was renamed ESS-5, and was successful. This happened in less than a
month, just before the NAB introduction.

Bill Carpenter