[QuadList] RCA Models

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Fri Feb 25 20:30:32 CST 2011

Hi Bill:

If the octaplex recorder turned on every other head, it would be a standard
quad recording, but with a 5-mil track, so I'm pretty sure that's not what
was going on.  I think I get the "picture" that you are describing, and I
assume that maybe if you were able to center the head between the two
tracks, then perhaps the demod output would alternate between the stronger
fields as they passed by.  I can't imagine that the results would be very
good, but more to the point, I still can't imagine why the octaplex would
have been used in the first place.  The only purpose is 2-channel recording,
and I assume from what you have said that what you ended up with was one
continuous picture, not 8 lines of one image alternated with 8 lines of a
different image.

You are correct about not having any problem of this sort with recordings
from a VR-3000.  Even though the Mark Eleven head in the 3000 is ball
bearing, the time base error is well within the range of a standard quad.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com