[QuadList] RCA Models

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Sat Feb 26 11:35:48 CST 2011

Hi Bill:

Always great to get your first-hand experiences and these interesting stories!

As for the technology behind multichannel transverse scan recording, it was developed for scientific and military applications in the early 60's, so there wasn't much of a delay between the videotape recorder and other applications for transverse scan.  I have much more information regarding RCA's work in this field than I have about Ampex.  Some of the early designs were rather crude, and some of the systems used much slower writing speeds than used for video, but the ability to record two different broadband channels simultaneously was a big deal.  Here's a pic of both low-speed and hi-speed Octaplex headwheels from the early 60's.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com