[QuadList] ESPN had an interesting 3D camera at Fiesta Bowl in AZ USA last nightI will do a

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 3 12:13:11 CST 2011

		On Jan 2, 2011, at 3:30 PM, Randy Hall wrote:

 > The guy with the backpack reminds me of the old PC-90s. I think
that is the number, the Philips early portable with the backpack.

		I offer:

	The PC-90 was a studio camera.  The PCP-90 was its 'portable' cousin,
using a camera head, lens, and viewfinder connected by umbilical cable
to its backpack.  Both the camera head (w lens/VF, etc.) and the
backpack weighed about 45 pounds . . . . EACH.  Generally, cameramen
(and they were in those days men; I know of no women who operated
them) would have a roll-around cart for the backpack to avoid having
to strap it to their backs.  Either that or another person would carry
it separately.  The cameraman carried only the camera head on a
shoulder . . . . for short periods of time.
	Here's a video we shot at WRET-TV in Charlotte, NC one night in 1977
using a PCP-90.  The backpack was stationed on a chair and we used an
extra-long umbilical to enable our touring pretty much the whole TV
station.  The tour is in two parts:
		Part 1 - <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAp1Q7BTUxQ>
		Part 2 - <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JAWv7SLLdo>
	Even without lugging around the backpack, I can assure you from my
shooting the video that this camera is HEAVY and can quickly wear you
out.

	  					NBC Today Show, New York