[QuadList] QuadQuiz: What company used a 2" Quad machine for digital audi...

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 3 16:36:17 CDT 2011

		On Jun 3, 2011, at 1:41 PM, Gary Adams wrote:

 > I don’t recall a digital audio method recording on a quad.  Would
it have been similar to the Sony PCM type system that recorded digital
audio on ¾ inch decks?

		I reply:

	I also don't recall any quad VTR with digital audio capability.
Certainly not digital audio in addition to the analog video.  More
than likely, it was what you suggest:  The Sony 14-bit PCM system that
converted digital audio into a psuedo-video signal which enabled ANY
VTR to record digital audio.  Of course, using this system would
preclude the capability of recording regular video along with the
digital audio, but hey, it's two channels of DIGITAL audio!
	There WAS a 1-inch Type-C Sony VTR (BVH-2800) that could record
digital audio along with the analog video.  Also, Sony made a BetaCam
SP deck with digital audio.  I think it was named the BVW-D75.

					     NBC Today Show, New York