[QuadList] QuadList Digest, Vol 36, Issue 12

bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv
Sun Jun 5 12:12:45 CDT 2011

Besides the DATE (Digital Audio for Television) system PBS had evaluated
another system called SOS (Sound On Sync) which was a UK developed
system that fed PCM bursts on H sync tips.  By changing the clamping
point to the back porch area we were able to pass it through quads, but
the need was for four channels to try early surround and the rudiments
of second language programming were already being considered.  This was
in the mid to late 70's.

However, I do remember an admonition by an instructor I had in Navy 'A'
school to "Read the &*@% question!"  Ted did ask who used a quad to
record 'digital audio', not digital audio with video so the Denon is the
winner.

Bill Spencer

NorthStar Studios, Inc.

3201 Dickerson Pike