[QuadList] Sony tape plants flooded--REusing tapes suggested by vendor--Archive effects

Ted Langdell preservation at tedlangdell.com
Fri Mar 18 12:34:40 CDT 2011

On Mar 18, 2011, at 7:44 AM, David Crosthwait wrote:

> Here is a good look at the situation:
>
> http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/465408-Japan_Quake_Leaves_U_S_Production_Community_Facing_Shortages_Price_Hikes.php

I noted with interest this passage:

Comtel Pro Media's Cohen notes that companies can adapt to the
shortage of HDCam SR tapes by going back to older media or using
different camera systems. "The question is how readily available those
cameras might be," and the problems producers might face in their
workflow when they switch to different cameras and formats during
production and post-production, he says.

A more viable solution, he believes, is to recycle tapes. "It is a
very robust format" that can be recorded over "multiple times," he
says. "We already working with our existing customers to take some
existing library tapes [and transfer them to solid state media] so
they can be reused."

Does this remind anyone of the early days of Quad?  A lot of programs
don't exist because the tape was recorded over.

One can hope that the content on tapes about to be used again has been
backed up onto other storage media... but this might be an issue for
archives that store content on the original source material.

What then?

 From all indications, whatever's in the future will be more costly.

flashscan8.us
iPhone: 	(530) 301-2931
Office:	(530) 741-1212
ted at flashscan8.us
Skype: 	TedLangdell

See you at our NAB Booth SL9910 in Las Vegas April 11-14, 2011
use code LV1449 to get your free exhibits pass.
ACVL in Santa Rosa, CA June 22-25 and
AMIA in Austin, TX, November 15-19, 2011