[QuadList] AT&T Audio was Jan. 21, 1959 Kraft Music Hall--In Color on N-B-C

W4wj at aol.com W4wj at aol.com
Thu Mar 24 22:32:16 CDT 2011

AT&T decided on using sub carriers of 6.2 and 6.8MHz
for Left and Right audio for the improved terrestial
network.

I remember comparing the OLD v.s. the NEW  audio.
Better noise floor... Better S/N...  Better  everything...

When the Big 3 went to satellite distribution, ABC and
CBS on C-Band, NBC being the first  major player to go the
Ku-Band route, the 6.2 and 6.8MHz sub carriers went along with them.

Analog video transmission would be the norm for  the
Big 3 and cable channel distribution for many  years.

With the advent of Videocipher technology, the  analog
cable feed transmissions were scrambled with the audio being  buried in the
datastream along with the video.  The
"in the clear"  6.2 and 6.8 sub carriers became  "barkers"
for various products including  programming subscriptions!

Fun Times!!

Don Murray, W4WJ
Retired from 40 years of Miami TV Engineering
35+ years at NBC O&O WTVJ

On Mar 24, 2011, at 12:46 PM,  Tony Quinn wrote:

> I'm not familiar with your US network  distribution system, but it's
obvious that with the *RIGHT* male  voice a well equalised 5 kc/s
circuit (and the right people) could  produce a very acceptable outcome.
> I may be an engineer, but I don't  always need metering to tell me
good from bad!

I expand:

Tony, in the US, television  networks used the national telephone
company AT&T almost  exclusively to distribute their programming into
the early 1980's  when satellite distribution was introduced.  Until
1977, the  old 'Telco' distribution system maintained audio and video
as  separate parallel feeds.  This required constant monitoring along
the various paths to ensure that audio and video remained in sync  with
each other.  In 1977, AT&T improved the video service  so that it was
capable of carrying a wider bandwidth than  before.  Wider bandwidth
systems allowed for audio subcarriers  to be transmitted along with the
video, thereby providing for the  first time a single system for both
video and audio.  This  advance provided several new improvements in
addition to its simple  'one line' concept:  Audio quality was
dramatically improved to  high-fidelity levels.  25-15KHz bandwidth
became possible as  well as stereo transmission, both of which were not
available to  network affiliates before.  System noise levels were
lowered as  well, and the elimination of the need to synchronize audio
to video  was a tremendous advantage over the older separate system.
This new multiplex transmission system lasted only until satellite
distribution became common.  NBC started satellite distribution of  its
programming around 1982 using the Ku band, the only network at  the
time go with Ku.
Now of course, everything is  digital and high definition.  Audio is
so much better than what  was available just a few years ago, it's hard
to imagine what it was  like back then.

Dennis Degan,  Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
NBC Today Show, New  York

Please trim  posts to relevant info when replying!
Send QuadList list posts to  QuadList at quadvideotapegroup.com
Your subscribe, unsubscribe and digest  options are  here:
oup.com