[QuadList] Octaplex--Even GE built them, using what look like RCA Octo heads

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 20:11:42 CST 2011

Hi Ted and folks,

Having spent the first five years of the engineering part of my career
working for the Gov't Div of Webcor, we bid on many second and third generations of products.

Our group only worked on Magnetic recorders.

You would get, in the bidding phase a full set of drawings of every part and full schematics and full test procedures and a working(?) physical example of the product. You also would try to understand the history, like who designed and built the first production run, and how many were built.
Then you would bid on building the next group of products that the Gov't needed.
If you got the contract, then you would understand the problems that the original folks had in building the product. We would usually know who we were bidding against and it the designer was not in the group you figured that they may have had problems and probably lost money.

Note: In the early days, of in some Gov't work there were many CPFF contracts. (Cost Plus Fixed Fee) contracts were GREAT, the more you spent, the more money you made!

I worked on quite a few designs where Ampex had built the development phase of the product and we received the next generation contract.

So, RCA could have done the development phase and GE got the next production run!

Bill Carpenter