[QuadList] Question of the week-RCA AE 6000 editor

altv at att.net altv at att.net
Mon Mar 7 22:17:17 CST 2011

I have a question, or confirmation of a rumor that was going around Hollywood in the '70s.
My first job after moving to the land of the 8 lane traffic jam was at Mobile Video Systems (just up the street from Pacific Video).  The company used AE600 Editors.... Lots of cheap switches but still pretty fast.

A story I heard was that, initially, the Compact Video Edit system was not frame accurate.  It was based on the fact that the AVR1's would park very accurately, and all machines would lock up at the same time.  As reported, the system was so fast that if there was a problem, the editor could redo the edit before the client knew what was going on.  Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, since most of the clients could't see 1 frame difference if their life depended on it.

I was told that they had a job matching A&B rolls to a work print.  The A&B rolls were cut to the correct frame length with no overlap.  As the editor loaded in the time code locations, it soon became apparent that there were occasional flash frames when the work print wasn't covered precisely.  It was during that session that the actual operation of the system was revealed.  The story I heard was that management gave the engineers the weekend to fix it.

Even if it's not true, it's a great story.
Al Killion