[QuadList] Question of the week-RCA AE 6000 editor/TEP

Trevor Brown videovault at sky.com
Tue Mar 8 10:59:07 CST 2011

Ok let me put a PAL spin on it

Play  in machine in Pixlock so 4 field lock as set by the 12.5 edit pulse

Record machine in Switch lock so 4 field lock from same edit pulse

Don’t disturb the record machine after lock up or it might not lock up to
edit pulses again

So you get 4 field edits

Remember when PAL came out we thought it was a 4 field system

The problem was the sync to subcarrier could change as the day went on and
if you edit to a different sync to subcarrier relationship the picture
twitches 110ns max to correct

So invisible edits were not possible only vision cuts could be edited

Remember this was a world of fixed or variable edits (switch on the splice
module)

Years on we discovered Pal had an 8 field sequence and field 4 had a
different subcarrier to sync relationship to field 8

and then we had to define sync to subcarrier relationship in degrees for one
of the fields

It effected not only VT but SPG’s so the first 8 field SPG was the blue
Seltech

With two lights and you swung the subcarrier around until the two lights
came on

Difficult days for PAL users

By AE 600’s days we could swap field 8 and field 4 over 66 gold key 6

It might help it might not if you had a 55ns error then it was no use

If you had 100ns you could make 10ns with this command

But we escaped drop time code and complex patches for Telecine

So I suppose it had to rain a little in our lives

TrevorB

UK Member