[QuadList] [Quad List] Question of the week-RCA AE 6000 editor/TEP

Tony Quinn tony at tqvideo.co.uk
Wed Mar 9 16:24:51 CST 2011

In message <45A7F264-C296-42C8-B139-8C33A0F118E7 at dcvideo.com>, David
Crosthwait <david at dcvideo.com> writes
>Trevor and Tony,
>
>I had always heard of the "8 field Bruch Sequence" and later on in life
>in linear edit bays operating in 625 PAL here in the U.S, dealt with
>long pre-rolls and the PAL color framing issues. This was particularly
>gruesome with PAL 1" type B and C edits.

8 fields is the minimum number that contains an integral number of
cycles of CSC. There used to be a giant 6 digit counter in VT control
saying 709379 (the odd variation in the final digit would happen), but
which if it started to move too far caused consternation. Bruch blanking
is something else again, and nothing to do with the PAL sequence - it
ensures that the burst phase is the same at the start and end of
vertical blanking.

>"Bruch" refers to Doctor Eng.
>Walter Bruch of Telefunken labs who invented the PAL system in 1965.

It certainly did. But I'm not sure about the date. The public service
system began in the UK in Mid 1967, and I find it hard to imagine only 2
years between invention and public roll out.

>Did either of you ever meet Dr. Bruch? He passed away over two decades
>ago.

An very ordinary and very junior engineer in the basement - hardly
likely :)
--
If one person has delusions, we call them psychotic. If, however, 1.5 billion
people have delusions we must apparently call them a religious group, and