[QuadList] Jan. 21, 1959 Kraft Music Hall--In Color on N-B-C

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Thu Mar 24 05:55:06 CDT 2011

The same YouTube poster also posted the first act—13:09—of the Jan.
21, 1959 Kraft Music Hall with Berle, in color.

http://www.youtube.com/user/vmanfactor5#p/u/6/JdJXvSm3qRk

Looking at the playback, I'm wondering
Whether this is RCA Labs color, RCA color or Low Band Color
The breakup at various points is caused by a splice, as it seems to
happen at specific types of transitions, like into or out of breaks.
Notes or comments indicated the announcer was out of NYC, but the show
was shot in Burbank.

In thinking about how the show might have been produced, I suppose the
VO could have been sent down the line to Burbank, but it "feels" more
like a live-switch to live audio, possibly edited into the Burbank
master or the NYC recording of a Burbank feed.

Looking at other material uploaded by the same poster, I was pleased
to see a KMH from my fourth birthday that aired a week earlier than
the color show linked above.

The Betty White commercials clip was transferred at Research Video in
Los Angeles... possibly on a VR-2000?

Opinions about whether an AVR-1 would have handled the playback of
either with fewer glitches?

Sure was a simpler—and more leisurely-paced style. You actually got to
LOOK at people before they cut to something else.

Gimme three cameras, a limbo set a singer and a ballad to play with :)

Ted

On Mar 22, 2011, at 11:55 AM, Jeff Martin wrote:

> Just turned up on YouTube:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBopQqi8J_M
>
> Nifty! But mysterious--Berle was on The Kraft Music Hall then. Why
> commercials for a different product? Rotating sponsor? Rerun spots?
>
> Anyone know anything about this (other than the fact that it looks
> to be a terrific transfer?)
>
> Jeff Martin
> Independent Media Arts Preservation

Skype: 	TedLangdell