[QuadList] What's your Betacam flavor?-2007 AMIA-L discussion links

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Tue May 31 11:32:09 CDT 2011

Hi, Shai,

Read through these AMIA-L posts (below) from Sept. 2007.  Very
illuminating as to the differences between the decks, especially as
Jim Lindner outlines why the J Series was selected for the SAMMA
systems.

Have you asked your client why he prefers BVW series machines?

Better electronic specs (better picture/sound fidelity?)

Does he think it has gentler tape handling?

Just likes to use the most expensive tool?

Did the Sony guy you talked to say anything about looking for high
serial-number machines?

Knowing the span of serial numbers and what improvements were included
in a particular range (or what the last machine made's number was) can
help when selecting a used machine.

Being aware of what board models or versions were supposed to ship
with particular serial number ranges will help when checking to see
whether old boards have been put into newer chassis, or newer boards
are in an older chassis.

A completely refurbished BVW machine—one that's been brought back up
to factory spec or made to exceed factory spec—would seem to be
something to consider if your client insists on BVW.

Upper and/or Lower Drum assemblies can be rebuilt to spec.

That would include things like shotgunning the caps and other
electronic parts that are likely to have aged seriously, or would fail
during operation... and replacing mechanical wear parts like threading
rings, nylon gears, capstan pinch rollers, etc.

You're somewhat at the mercy of what spare parts are available from
Sony or aftermarket manufacturers (in the case of parts that aren't
made anymore) as New Old Stock (NOS) from other suppliers.

Amortizing the cost of refurbishment and the ongoing maintenence over
100,000 tapes shouldn't raise the cost per-tape by much.

And perhaps you can find several late serial number machines and get
them refurbed.

That would apply to Digital Betacam machines, also.  With SDI output
you have a simpler path to your digitizing station, too.

Ted

Here are the thread links to the AMIA-L discussion from 2007:

Sony BetacamSP Players
Sony BetacamSP Players (19 lines)