[QuadList] Fwd: [AMIA-L] The AV Artifact Atlas

Steve Greene Steve.Greene at nara.gov
Mon Nov 21 11:47:39 CST 2011

Hi guys,
I saw this email before the AMIA Conference, where I got to see the session on Quality Control of Videotape Reproductions.  Seeing as how many archivists will be evaluating reproductions from quad when they weren't even born when the format was in use, I wanted to encourage everyone to contribute to the Artifact Atlas.  I'm sure we're all aware that quad tapes have a myriad of unique playback errors (as well as the usual share of recorded-in errors).  I think it would help future archivists evaluate the reproduction work they receive through vendors to see still frames or short clips showing some of the most common errors:  color banding, head clogging, "stairstep" dropout (switch-point, scratched tape), unlocked chroma, and common TBC errors.

I realize that many of the clips out there may be of copyrighted material.  What do you all think?

Steve

Steve Greene
Archivist
Office of Presidential Libraries
National Archives and Records Administration
(301) 837-1772
>>> Hannah Frost <hfrost at STANFORD.EDU> 11/14/2011 7:57 PM >>>
Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of a new information resource for our community, the AV Artifact Atlas: http://preservation.bavc.org/artifactatlas/.

The Artifact Atlas is a reference guide that includes terminology, explanations, and examples (clips and images) of the technical issues and anomalies that can afflict audio and video signals.

The purpose of the Atlas is to support media preservation workers who may have questions about issues they encounter while playing back or reformatting original media content.

The Artifact Atlas is a project of the Stanford Media Preservation Lab, New York University, and the Bay Area Video Coalition.  We think this resource will be useful to students, practicing archivists, and media-reformatting service providers alike, by enabling us to develop and apply common terminology to identify and describe the technical problems in our content that reveal themselves in reformatting workflows or other playback and preservation processes.

The Artifact Atlas is a wiki, and so by its very nature, a work-in-progress.  We encourage community involvement in building out the Atlas! If you interested in becoming a content contributor or have any feedback at all, please let us know by sending a message to avaa-contact at lists.stanford.edu.

I'll be delivering a presentation about the Atlas at AMIA this week; come to the session titled "We Are What We Repeatedly Do: Applying Aristotle to Quality" on Thursday at 4 p.m. if you want to learn more.

See you in Austin,

Hannah

--
Hannah Frost
Manager, Stanford Media Preservation Lab &

http://lib.stanford.edu/stanford-media-preservation-lab
http://lib.stanford.edu/sdr

hfrost at stanford.edu
650.799.1352 cell