[QuadList] TCR-100 EPIS

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Sat Nov 5 10:56:30 CDT 2011

		On Nov 5, 2011, at 9:22 AM, Gary Adams wrote:

 > "Electronic Program Identification System".  Was a fairly simple ID
system.  While most customers considered it an expensive and not
necessary add on, I convinced many that it saved incorrectly loaded
spots several times.  While you can easily check the carts loaded in
the belt, you did not know which two were actually threaded prior to a
break.  A simple matter of looking at the log and visually seeing what
are the next two to run.  I would say it saved us the expense in make
goods assuming you consider make goods cost money. There was no easy
method of exporting this data but I don't doubt some smart techs did.

		I offer:

	At NBC, EPIS was linked to the Hazeltine automation system:
		<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/515347244/>

		Gary added:

 > In the latest models, a bar code was added to the carts that would
interface to an automation system.  This was part of the random access
feature.  There were not many of those in use.

		I point out:

	EPIS was pretty necessary at the network level.  Spots aired
nationally and obviously generated more revenue than local spots.
EPIS allowed verification that the correct cartridge was playing, not
just loaded in the belt.  EPIS data was displayed on the output video
of the machine for operator verification (the display would blank out
when the tape was playing).  The bar code system could only tell the
automation which cartridge was loaded in the belt.
	Though my responsibilities at NBC covered TCR maintenance at the time
(as well as other quad VTRs in 30 Rock), I didn't and still don't know
much about EPIS.

					     NBC Today Show, New York