[QuadList] Slow Motion Quad

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Mon Nov 14 01:39:20 CST 2011

Perchance are you Referring to the BBC-modded VR-1000 used in 1964 and later?

http://www.vtoldboys.com/donk01.htm

FORWARD BY THE AUTHOR DON KERSHAW

It’s now 10 years since I retired from the BBC, having been in “Tel Rec” since I joined in May 1955. I always intended to write a history of the development of Video Recording in the BBC, and the positions I held, never far from the coal face, will hopefully add authority to the story as it unfolds.

He writes:

ENGINEERING DESIGNS AND RESEARCH WORK

Three of the machines were used by Research and Designs Depts to develop special facilities.
Having been modified by Research Dept, one of them could be switched to play back at half speed, producing a picture of 405 lines at half the normal frame rate. The displayed picture was then optically converted using a vidicon camera pointing at a specially modified monitor. This was used to transmit the first “Slow Motion” playbacks for sporting events around June ’64. (Grand National)
Another, was severely modified by Designs Dept to produce the notorious Slow Motion machine which eventually was installed at Lime Grove. The tape transport was modified to play one field of a picture normally, store it on a very large diameter floppy disk, playing back from it a repeat whilst the tape was moved back using mechanically reciprocating arms ready to play the next field. Thus, half speed playback was obtained without the quality loss of optical conversion. This was used around July ’66 until July’68 when it was replaced by the HS 100.
The third machine was used by Research and Designs to develop the 625 line High Band recording system in conjunction with AMPEX which allowed, eventually, successful direct colour recording. The machine was never used operationally, but led to the production of the AMPEX VR 2000 machine.

Ted

Sent from my iPhone
(530) 301-2931
Skype: tedlangdell