[QuadList] BATC OB Van with VR-1000--Ping Trevor Brown & Brian Summers-Post permission request

Gideon4 gideon4 at summershome.co.uk
Mon Sep 12 13:47:14 CDT 2011

I did a lot of work on Joe's OB van Monoculus, The van was fitted with 4 Pye
3" image orthicon cameras, an EMI vision mixer, and the Ampex VR1000C, all
in 625 lines. The cameras and all the mixer were valve (tube) units and
started life in 405, the Ampex was all valve except for the head switch
unit, it think. not sure if it was originally 405 lines or not?

I spent a lot of time trying to get the VR1000C to work properly without
success I'm afraid to say. I could never get it to complete the lock-up
sequence. The chief suspect was the inter-sync framing unit. It was hard to
be sure just what the problem was, I was working with no spares or back-up
and little experience. This was all back in the early 1970s.

Indirectly, Joe was responsible for my interest in television and subsequent
career in the BBC. Joe alas, died suddenly in the prime of life and
Monolcus, now abandoned went to the scrap yard.  The VR1000 spent a long
time in very unsuitable storage and when last seen was little more than a
Ampex shaped pile of rust!

I do have a number of pictures to find and scan.

There are in the BATC a number of successor OB vans, alas none contain
Quads. attached is a picture of my OB van taken a few years ago.

Regards

Brian Summers