[QuadList] Ampex Picnic 2011--Links to video interviews, photos

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Mon Sep 12 23:20:05 CDT 2011

Every year, folks who used to work at Ampex--some retired... some who
moved on to other companies--gather at Cuesta Park in Mountain View.

QuadList member Tim Stoffel had been attending for a number of years.
I went last year and posted pix on the Quad Videotape Group Facebook
page

This year, Tim and I (standing) went, and met up with Old VTR
collector and historian Richard Diehl (red shirt, seated), who was
interviewing several people on HD video.

(Tim Stoffel photo)

Click here http://www.youtube.com/user/videolabguy#p/u
for Richard's YouTube page to see interviews with the original Quad
Head engineer and picnic organizer Fred Pfost (seen here with  wife/co-
organizer, Joann Pfost)

(Tim Stoffel photo)

  and engineer Ray Vavizza.

(Ted Langdell iPhone photo)

Ravizza had a hand in the developing servo systems for Ampex's
Electron Beam Recorder for instrumentation (spy plane data, among
otherthings), the audio section on the AVR-2 and 3, and mechanical
aspects of Automatic Scan Tracking (AST) for the original Type A
machines (Ampex VPR-1) and then later the VPR-2 and VPR-3 series.

He later worked on robotics for the Ampex ACR-225 digital spot and
program R/P system. He's still working... in robotics mechanisms for a
Bay Area company.

Retired Ampexer Bill Carpenter (AVR-2 & AVR-3 sales among other things)
and Tim Stoffel get caught up, while an AVR-2 audio board rests on
Bill's food bag.

(Ted Langdell photo/Tim's Canon camera)

We stayed until long after others had left, and then stopped into
the Milpitas FRY's Electronics for a trip around half the store.

No big spending, though. Tim bought something small for his GPS, and I
grabbed an ice coffee for the 2.5 hour drive home to Marysville, about
40 minutes north of Sacramento.  Tim had another two hours-over the
Sierras in the dark to Reno- with a wave at Grass Valley and Nevada
City folks on the way through.