[QuadList] OT: 1" Type-B format question

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Sun Apr 1 20:18:56 CDT 2012

Hi Dennis:

I believe the diagram is correct, and I now think that the illustration does
match the top and bottom orientation of the tape as it comes off of the
supply reel.  However, I had the same thought that you did....that the
location of the control track seemed less than ideal.

This all started when I received what was said to be a Type-A tape to
transfer.  Loading it on the machine revealed that audio on Ch1 was OK, but
there was no video.  A check of RF showed nothing, and a further check
showed that the control track appeared to be time code!  Loading it on a
Type-C machine further confirmed the location of the tracks.  The speed was
correct, but none of the tracks appeared to be arranged as they should be
for 1" Type-A, B, or C although the tape was recorded in '78, so it could
have been any of the 3 formats

Turns out that the tape had previously been sent to another company for
transfer and they had determined that it wasn't Type-C, and so assumed that
it was Type-A.  What I believe happened at some point, was that the tape
which is apparently Type-B, was rewound onto the reel with an A-wind instead
of the B-wind that is normal for Type-B tapes.  That obviously resulted in
the tape being flipped vertically, and so all of the tracks were "upside
down" from what I expected to see, and didn't match any format that I knew
of.  Reloading it on the reel with a B-wind puts everything where it should
be for Type-B.

It did surprise me that neither the Type-A or Type-C machines could "see"
any RF at all.  I realize that the track alignment is drastically different
and it would never "work", but I expected some sort of jumbled RF envelope
to appear.  It didn't.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com