[QuadList] OT: 1" Type-B format question

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 3 12:35:03 CDT 2012

		On Apr 2, 2012, at 6:10 PM, Tony Quinn wrote:

 > Fast turn-round sport sessions (such as the UK Saturday afternoon
programme Grandstand 30 years ago). I can remember tail-outs on Quads
as well as VPR's, Don;t bother rewinding, just slap another RX tape on
the machine - spin in a couple of minutes and put test signals on
afterwards :)

		I say:

	Back in my days at WIS-TV in Columbia, SC (1975-76), in addition to
my duties as a maintenance engineer, I was weekend tape op on-air.
WIS had two VR-1200's plus an ACR-25.  On weekends, lots of
programming originated from our VTR's, which meant that the two 1200's
would be very busy.  It would be easy if programs could simply
alternate between the two 1200's, but not so easy if we had to RECORD
a feed for later air on one of the machines while playing programs for
air on the other.  In order to handle this challenge, I'd pre-cue all
the quad tapes I needed for the day's programming eariler in the
morning, then remove the tapes from the machine (including a takeup
reel) with the cued start location positioned between the supply and
takeup.  I'd have stacks of paired quad reels arranged around the one
VTR I had to handle the task.  For air, I'd usually have just a minute
(or sometimes less) to replace one program with the next on the one
VR-1200 available for playback.  Just as Tony related, I'd simply
place the finished show down somewhere for later rewinding.  There was
almost no time for playback setup.  Sometimes, tracking adjustment
would be done while the program was on the air.  Such was life in
those days.

					     NBC Today Show, New York