[QuadList] OT: QuadList member Tim Stoffel on CNN's Next List, Sunday, 1pE/11aP

Tim Stoffel tim at lionlamb.us
Sat Apr 7 17:05:28 CDT 2012

Ultxa seri oe hu ngenga mì <<Las Vegas>> a lu prrte oeru (It would be a
pleasure to meet with you in Las Vegas)(Na'vi)

M'athchomaroon, zhey lakakaan! Hash yer dothrae chek asshekh? (Greetings
to the warrior. How are you (lit. do you ride well) today?)(Dothraki)

Na'vi is my primary focus, and I have been working on that language for
a little over two years now. I can write and speak it tolerably, but
there is still much to learn.

I got interested in Dothraki as the Na'vi community has been supporting
the web resources needed to promote the language, and because one of the
first hundred or so words released was 'Hrakkar' for 'white lion' (which
actually goes back to the original books, and is my Dothraki name.) I
was very fortunate last summer to have spent several days with David
Peterson when he was in Reno for the Worldcon Science Fiction
convention. We became friends, and I am one of perhaps 5 or 6 people he
coaches personally.

Na'vi and Dothraki are good languages to learn together, as they are
almost exact opposites of each other. Na'vi is a beautiful, flowing
language that still has exotic sounds in it, like ejectives. It has a
relatively straightforward grammar, 'infixes' in the verbs, and
comparatively free word order. Dothraki is more of a warrior's tongue,
and is a lot more consonantal than Na'vi (but not as guttural as
Klingon). Its sounds are simpler to master than Na'vi, but it has a
fairly challenging grammar, and tables of prefixes/suffixes you simply
have to memorize to get right.

kìyevame (good bye, see you again)(Na'vi)
Fonas chek! (goodbye, lit. 'hunt well!')(Dothraki)

Tim Stoffel
A.K.A. 'Eylan Ayfalulukanä on Pandora, Hrakkar on the Dothraki Sea