[QuadList] Happy Birthday, NBC Videotape Central, Burbank

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Sun Apr 29 22:40:13 CDT 2012

The RCA modulator was direct color recording but of a non-standard nature. Heterodyne was the process of color recovery/conversion (the scheme to get a reduced bandwidth, somewhat unstable but watchable color picture off tape and over the air with FCC waiver) until the direct recovery method was developed some years later (Ampex Colortec).

At "The Reel Thing" St. Louis, 2009, I made a presentation on the recovery of the Cyd Charisse special, an RCA modulator color program. Part of that presentation was a display of a typical NBC Burbank work order indicating the mode of the recording. A portion of that work order is displayed here:

In 1958 at the beginning of "Color City" color recordings, the operator had a choice of using the Ampex modulator on the Ampex machines for mono or the RCA modulator for color although I have encountered mono recordings using the RCA modulator scheme on Hope black & white programs from 1959. VTR 1 & 3 were VR 1000's. They were transports with no overhead bridge. In the rack were both modulators.

Best Regards,

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Archived Media Transfer and Re-mastering Services

177 West Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA. 91502
818-563-1073
818-563-1177 (fax)