[QuadList] Scotch 400

Shai Drori srdbx at netvision.net.il
Thu Aug 30 15:41:47 CDT 2012

Hi All
I am digitizing an archive now that has among other media 28 reels of
scotch 400. When I checked them visually for sap or SSS or other
problems they actually looked fine. Could use a cleaning before playing
but they actually looked good. Is that possible? I was always under the
impression that all these are disasters.
With this in mind I would like to know what you think about the follow
work flow for preparing them for transfer.
1. clean and vacuum off dust.
2. remove flanges and clean them.
3. remove foam from top flange, even if it's in good shape and clean
flange from residue.
4. screw flanges back into place.
5. run tapes forward and back while cleaning tape surface from dirt and
loose particles.

In this batch there are also 3 tapes in bad condition with heavy deposit
of fungus and mold on tape where the windows are. How should I go about
getting these clean?

And last, there are two memorex tapes, when labeled Chroma 90. What do
we know about them? Any thing to look out for?
Cheers
Shai