[QuadList] VR-3000 History--Pictures welcome!

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Tue Aug 14 20:53:56 CDT 2012

Hi Ted:

Everything that is done to the machine is logged and the documentation is turned over to the client with the completed machine.  Some of it is routine....the dis-assembly to the extent practical in order to clean everything, tightening/replacing hardware as needed, etc.  Then there are problems specific to the individual machine.  In this case, several areas have physical damage including a circuit board with numerous components broken off and a broken vacuum regulator.

However, there is one problem that has been consistent in all of the VR-3000's that I've seen.  Because it can be very self-destructive, I'd urge anyone that has one of the machines to check for this, even if there's no intention of using the machine because it will only get worse over time.  The problem is with the deterioration of the vacuum lines.  As they age, they begin to "sweat", and what oozes out on the surface of the tubing will attack any circuit board traces that it comes in contact with.  It doesn't seem to harm the aluminum components of the machine, but it also dissolves the material that forms the head of the vacuum pump.  End result is that circuit boards have to be cleaned and repaired, and the vacuum pump has to be rebuilt.

I've included a few pictures to illustrate the problem.  This is a view of the tubing in the area of the vacuum pump and regulator.  The aluminum cover is the bottom of the take-up motor and the driver board for that motor has been removed.  The board normally covers part of this tubing, and so the solder side of the board comes in contact with the tubing.  You can see the sticky substance that is covering the tubing.

Here's the underside of the board with the "gunk" from the tubing....

And here is that board after it has been cleaned.  You can see that the solder has been eaten away at a number of places.  This is actually a mild case of this problem.  In more severe cases, the copper traces may be completely eaten away as well.  You'll notice that part of the dash "02" part number is completely gone.

So as you can see, this is a serious problem.  I suspect that this particular machine is not as bad as most because it is newer.  The extent of the damage also varies depending on exactly where the tubing is routed.  In the worst cases, as many as 8 boards have been damaged.  So while each machine has its unique problems, this problem seems to be universal, and that's why I urge anyone that has a VR-3000 to address it before it gets any worse!

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com