[QuadList] Servo Modes

kylebook at aol.com kylebook at aol.com
Fri Aug 24 10:25:43 CDT 2012

 		Dennis Degan says:	Not to throw cold water on it Wayne, but I don't know of a single TV  station that DIDN'T run their cart machines live to air.  Only  networks would do this (with the notable exception of NBC).  At the  network level, where more money is at stake, reliability is of much  higher priority than operator convenience.  Not only would CBS and ABC  cut their commercials into the program masters, they would run two  copies of the commercial-inserted program on the air simultaneously to  enable quick switching in case of a failure of the on-air tape.   Again, no local TV station I'm aware of did this.

I say:  Not sure if this was standard operating procedure at other local stations carrying live sports events, but during my time at WHCT in Hartford, CT, when they carried a live Hartford Whalers hockey telecast, they did not use their spot playback system (The LaKart 3/4" system), but instead ran the spots from compilation reels.  The reason behind this, similar to the network philosophy, was that these were high revenue generating commercials, where operational failure & "make goods" were just not option.