[QuadList] VR-1006 RADAR VTR

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Sat Dec 1 17:37:30 CST 2012

Hi Chris:

I have a good bit of info on RCA transverse scan instrumentation recorders
from the same era, and I suspect they are similar.  The servo systems are
very simple compared to a video recorder, because there's no need to lock
the playback to anything else.  All that is required is to have the head
track properly, so a master oscillator drives the drum in record and control
track is recorded in the usual fashion so that on playback, the head can be
properly phased.   Consequently, there's no requirement for the signal being
recorded to have any type of sync.

We've had some discussions before about Octaplex recorders, head drums with
8 heads instead of four so that they could record two different signals
simultaneously on the same tape.  They were also used for radar when it was
necessary to have two different signals reproduced with absolute time
coincidence.  No fancy synchronization servo required!

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com