[QuadList] OT Professor Takayanagi, JVC

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Mon Feb 6 01:38:01 CST 2012

On Feb 5, 2012, at 10:10 PM, Steve Spears wrote:

> The only way that two inch helical ever worked really nice was with the machine in Japan that "Takaiangi" designed when he was at Japan Victor. He was Japan's version of Charlie Ginsburg (Ampex) and that machine had a two head arrangement with a drum about 12 inches in diameter. NHK had some when I got a tour through the brand new Broadcast Center in Tokyo in 1966. Steve Spears, Orrs Island, Maine.

Steve,  would these have been the JVC KV-1 or KV-2 VTR's shown here on LabGuy's World?
http://www.labguysworld.com/KV-1_001.jpg
http://www.labguysworld.com/KV-2_002.jpg
http://www.labguysworld.com/MS_KV-2_001.jpg

Click this link for more on Professor Kenjiro Takayanagi.
http://www.ieeeghn.org/wiki/index.php/Milestones:Development_of_Electronic_Television,_1924-1941

Nothing re: the 2", double-head machine Steve mentions, though.

 Professor Takayanagi passed away in July, 1990 at the age of 91.

There's a rather detailed history of JVC, and Takayanagi's relationships to the company, here:
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Victor-Company-of-Japan-Limited-Company-History.html

The morphing over time from a wholly-owned division of the Victor Talking Machine Co., and shortly thereafter RCA... into what today is a company with a slight majority owned by Matsushita (Panasonic's parent) makes an interesting read.

The development of JVC's "Video Home System" (VHS) and his connection to it is also described.

Fifth Annual Quad Videotape Group Lunch at NAB
12:30pm, Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Lower South Hall REAR food concession area

See us at NAB 2012, April 16-19 in Booth SL-9607
Use code 2012 for your free NAB Exhibits Pass