[QuadList] Ampex XVR-7500 details

Steve Spears stevespears at kel.com
Wed Feb 15 02:18:37 CST 2012

I had two 7800's that I took care of on the USS Kearsarge CVS-33 Carrier. They were for the ships entertainment TV system. My rate was actually Gun Fire Control Electronics Technician (FT), but the little third class electronics tech that was supposed to work on the 7800's to keep'em going, was in way over his head.

I had the 6PM to 8PM disc-jockey slot in our KEAR radio DJ booth, so I was well known on the ship.

I needed some transistors for the Ampex machines and was told that I could get some much more reliable parts by taking'em out of a Sono-Buoy the ones that our S2F sub-trackers carried.

I went down into the hangar bay in the dark one night and went around behind the Sono-Buoy pod on one of the planes and ejected one out, and the Ships XO came by and caught me. He said Spears...is that you?...where you goin' with that Sono-Buoy?...and I said Commander...you wanna' watch Dean Martin tomorrow night? I need some some transistors for one of our videotape recorders.

Take whatever you need son !